
It all started almost exactly five years ago. The University of North Carolina had forced its basketball coach, Matt Doherty, to resign and where did they come looking? They came to Kansas and took our coach Roy Williams, our beloved basketball coach at the time. No KU fan thought he would leave he had already turned down UNC once just three years before in 2000. At that time Roy said that he would never leave, that he wanted to retire from Kansas and wouldn't leave unless that happened or he got fire. But then it happened...Roy shot out of Lawrence just days after KU lost the title game. Lots of fans were angry and showed it. Players too for that matter. Here is a taste of the less offensive things said:
"I gave my arm for that man...literally!"
"Benedict Williams"
"Traitor!"
So here we are today KU back in the tournament, with a new beloved coach Bill Self, facing off against none other then Roy Williams and his Tarheels. He still says hes sorry for the way he left and how much all the negativity hurts him still. He says he loves Kansas. Well for a lot of KU fans, myself included we still felt hurt and disrespected. Its not so much that he left its that he said he wouldn't. Many coaches say that and then leave but I just never thought Roy would. We thought he would keep his word. Its like getting duped by someone or a messy divorce and I haven't forgotten about it for five years...five years!! So last night it finally came to a head, KU and UNC, angry KU fans against Roy. I, however, decided that no matter the out come it was time to let Roy go and move on. I'll be honest, beating them made the task so much easier but after the game a burden had been lifted from my shoulders and I slept better then I had in five years. So the Kansas City Stars says:
Well, its really over now. The divorce is settled. And Kansas got the house, cars, custody of the kids, the 401k and a shot at a national championship.
Maybe all that is true but at least I've let it go and when Roy comes back to KU whenever that day may be I'll stand up and cheer for him. It took five years but...Roy I forgive you.
Thanks for the good laugh! How did you feel about seeing Roy in the fan section wearing a KU shirt? Bryan wasn't too thrilled, but thought it was funny at the same time.
ReplyDeleteGood to hear you're finally letting go and healing from the hurt :)
Love you guys!