Monday, November 3

This Week in Review

This week was the family vacation to Hot Springs, Arkansas. My parents had received a "free" week when they signed up for their time share. I didn't realize this until my mom had repeated herself several times so that we wouldn't be too disappointed with the condo--since it was free so they normally don't give out free weeks with the time share they are in. So it was with a different time share company that is shared with the company they are associated with. It's really confusing but anyway the condo itself wasn't too bad, but was in need of some updating decor wise. Apparently they were remodeling them right after we left. Lucky us. It was 2 bedroom, 2 bath, and was actually pretty roomy for 6 people and a baby. I mean I didn't feel like we were stepping on each other's toes or anything. I must say that spending 4.5 days in Hot Springs is plenty long. We never got bored but we did most of the things that you could do in that time. However, if we had arrived in spring or summer we could have rented a boat. Well actually we could have during the fall too but there was a leak in the dam so they were lowering the lakes surrounding. You can see where the water used to be (close to the trees) and where it is now.

This was our view directly facing out.

And to our right.

We (Blair and I and Ryan and Jo and Audrey) arrived on Wednesday. We met up with Blair's great uncle (he came to our wedding but I don't remember seeing him there and his second cousin and his wife. They have an awesome place on 7 acres with a bubbling creek. They've told us that it is not unusual to see mountain lions or bobcats roaming about. On the way to finding their place we took several wrong turns which lead us to the most hillbilly looking "subdivision" if you will. It's interesting to think that people COULD live like that but none of us wanted to get out to ask directions. Blair's great uncle also told us of fascinating stories, like how his family were close friends to the sheriff and Judge that let Al Capone roam Hot Springs.


Thursday Jolene and I went to Buckstaff,
which is the oldest and only running bathhouse at the moment.

It was a really interesting experience. I am modest no more. Walking around in toga wasn't really too exciting but having someone actually bathe you....well that's an experience. My bath attendant was Sara, a very, very nice woman who didn't make me feel awkward at all but I can't recall the last time I was sporting my birthday suit and having someone wash me down. Sara also forced me to drink mineral water straight from the hot springs. Which meant it was HOT. I drank down one cup and spewed out the second. It was like licking hot rocks. Apparently it's really good for you.

After the half hour bath (which was really nice) I was transported (in toga) to the Sitz bath which is what it is. You sit in hot water which just a towl thrown over the front of your body exposed to all the other women walking around. That was probably the most awkward and could have done with out that bath. Then I was walked to the steam bath...which felt like a giant metal cage which encloses your body up to the neck with hot steam. I actually liked that one and didn't get clausterphobic at all. I propbably would have if she had closed the door but luckily she didn't.

Then hot towls were draped and wrapped around my body and I laid their drinking SUPER COLD mineral water. I also made friends with a chatty older lady wouldn't leave me be.

Then we hit the showers where numerous jets of water hit you in all directions....that was only for a few minutes but I could have stood there for hours.

Then a half hour massage with the best masoose I have ever had. It was AWESOME and she used hot oils. My skin is so dry that it soaked it right up but Jo said they used just plain old lotion probably because she has super sensitive skin.

And to end it all off we had our hands dipped in paraffin wax which made them ever so soft.

We also hit up the gangster museum, the Garvan Woodland Gardens, and Blair and Ryan hit up the golf course, and several tasty restaurants. I can see why older people go there to relax. Plus I I had no idea how infiltrated the town used to be with the mob. I loved it! Ok, I don't LOVE the mob but they are by far my favoriate piece of history.

The tour of a bathhouse (not the one we were in) and
very spunky tour guide. She also asked me if
I liked taking baths overseas. That's when we had
to explain that I was adopted and blah blah blah.

The gym that Babe Ruth used when he and several
other famous athletes used when they visited the
springs.


My brother dipping his foot into one of the
natural springs. It was too hot, he didn't
even submerge. It's hard to capture "in film"
but there was steam everywhere.

The Arlington Hotel from the Overlook tower.
Also where Al Capone rented the entire 4th
floor for weeks at a time when coming to gamble.

My dad getting ready to throw Audrey in the Koi Pond.
It was weird, those fish literally followed us as we
walked around.

Most of the flowers at the gardens were still in
full bloom.

Because she's just so darn cute.

We came home to fall!

And now for an incoherent ramble: grocery store etiquette should be equally as important as bathroom etiquette. Today I'm making chicken parmesan for dinner. Oh and that will be added to my list as a new recipe. I'm also going to try grilled pears with butter and brown sugar. Can't go wrong with that can I? Anway, I went to the store to pick up some necessities and noticed that the guy standing behind me in line was just way too close. I don't like people breathing my air. He was also checking out the foods I had purchased...maybe not, but I felt like he was judging me by my purchases. Luckily everything I had on the belt today was exceptionally nutritious. I also noticed that he had nothing in his hands or placed on the conveyer, so I'm not sure why he was standing in line. I got out of their as fast I could. I also realized that I need to remember where I park next time I run out of the store.



4 comments:

  1. What?!?! I can't believe you did that bathhouse!! That was the one I was talking about! Wasn't it the weirdest thing...I think it felt like it was a concentration camp the way they made you walk around naked. I am just too modest for anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! Glad you're back:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys had a fun trip. When we went to Hot Springs (many many many years ago), my mom went to the bathhouse. She really enjoyed it. Glad you guys got to visit Uncle Harvey as well and made it back home safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to Hot Springs about 2.5 years ago. It's a cool place - we spent a week and that was WAY too long, but still had a good time! We got manicures in one of the bathhouses.

    ReplyDelete