Wednesday, October 20

In for Life.

I have a dark side.
And it's because...

I like crime.
I don't agree with it.
But I like to watch it.
And read about it.

Especially organized crime.
Like the Mafia.
And the American gangsters from the 30's.

I'd like to think this infatuation originated from growing up in an area where the crime wave hit during the 1930's. (Bonnie and Clyde shot a police chief in Commerce, OK. And one of their notorious gun fights was in Joplin, MO, half an hour from where I grew up.) But probably not.



Over Labor Day weekend my parents took us to a cemetery, outside my hometown, where Kate "Ma" Barker, and her 4 sons are buried. They are buried on the outskirts of the cemetery because they were criminals and only one of the sites has a tombstone.








Currently I am reading Public Enemies (the book that inspired the movie) about the crime wave during the 1930s. It's not mafia related, but it's still a form of organized crime. I also have the book The Vendetta about the beginnings of the FBI written by Melvin Purvis' son. MP was the FBI agent who captured John Dillenger, Pretty Boy Floyd, and Baby Face Nelson.

John Dillinger

And earlier this week, I made Blair record The Ten Commandments of the Mafia.
It was SO fascinating!
Anyone up for The Godfather movies?

1 comment:

  1. Ah yet another reason I like you :) I feel the same way!! And Ry and I just finished the Godfather movies! Well technically not the third one but it wasn't any good so I doubt we'll finish it ever.

    ReplyDelete